YUM-O! empowers kids and their families to develop healthy relationships with food and cooking.
Say hello to springtime with this delightful, wholesome meal!
Far Eastern flavors add an exotic touch to tender steak and noodles.
This catch of the day is reading for dipping!
This is the easiest ever (and super delicious!) lamb supper – it can even be prepared as a make-ahead meal!
CATCH Healthy Habits is a unique intergenerational physical activity and nutrition
program that benefits two generations: kids and adults age 50-plus. The program combats obesity by engaging adults as mentors to teach healthy lifelong habits to kids in grades K-5.
Created by research teams from the University of California at San Diego, University of Minnesota, Tulane University and the University of Texas, CATCH Healthy Habits enlists teams of volunteers to work with kids in after-school or summer school programs. Each one hour session includes a nutrition lesson, a healthy snack and 30 minutes of fun, vigorous physical games and activities.
The results are impressive! Children:
• reported eating more servings of fruits and vegetables
• improved their knowledge of the daily recommended servings of fruits and vegetables and read food nutrition labels more frequently
• decreased the number of TV shows or movies watched and video games played each week
• were more confident that they could participate in physical activity three to five times per week, participate in physical activity in after school programs, run or bike during the week and run at a steady pace for at least 15 minutes
Plus, the adult mentors benefit, too! Adults:
• increased their vegetable consumption and are more likely to read nutrition labels
• report greater functional abilities
• find fulfillment in meaningful volunteer service
The program is continuing to expand nationwide. Current and planned cities include Atlanta, GA, Escondido, CA, Long Beach, CA, Los Angeles, CA, San Diego, CA, Indianapolis, IN, Saint Louis, MO, New York City; NY, Richmond, VA, Denver, CO, Madison, WI, Las Vegas, NV, Albany, NY, Hartford, CT, Louisville, KY, Portland, ME, Manchester, NH and Cleveland, OH.
Find out how you can connect with a CATCH Healthy Habits program in your community!
with recipes that families will love cooking and eating together!more
Click on the photo above to tell us about your favorite chef!more