- 1/3 cup water (eyeball it)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (1/3 palmful)
- 2 teaspoons Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 1 small red, white or Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 English (seedless) cucumbers, trimmed of ends, cut in half lengthwise then thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 pound baby spinach, washed thoroughly
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the water, vinegar, vegetable oil, sugar, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes and Tamari (eyeball it) in a small saucepot over medium-high heat. Bring up to a bubble and simmer for one minute. Remove the saucepot from the heat and discard the garlic and ginger.
- Place the sliced onions in a salad bowl and pour the hot mixture over them. Let sit until cool.
- Add the cucumbers and spinach to the salad bowl, toss to combine and season with salt and pepper, to taste.