- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground chicken or turkey
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce (14 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 4 crusty rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup dill pickles, chopped
For the slaw:
- 1/3 cup pickle juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 4 cups, packed, shredded cabbage slaw salad mix (3/4 pound)
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then add the EVOO. Add the ground chicken to the pan and, using the back of a wooden spoon or spatula, break it up into crumbles so that it can brown evenly. Season the chicken with the grill seasoning blend.
- Once the chicken begins to brown, about 3-4 minutes, add the onion and peppers and cook for 5-6 minutes more to soften the veggies.
In a bowl, combine the vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and hot sauce. Stir the BBQ Joe sauce into the chicken and combine. Reduce the heat to simmer, let then mixture bubble and then combine for 5 minutes more.
For the slaw salad, combine about 1/3 cup pickle juice from the jar of pickles with the honey and canola or vegetable oil. Toss cabbage with dressing and season the slaw with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile the sloppy chicken onto the toasted bun bottoms, then top with the chopped pickles and bun tops. Serve with slaw salad.