- 4 Idaho potatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed of tough end and cut into small chunks
- 1/2-1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Pre-heat the oven to 425ºF.
- Scrub the potatoes of any excess dirt and prick them each several times with a fork. Place them on a baking sheet, drizzle them with EVOO and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, tossing lightly to coat.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven until tender, about 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Remove the baked potatoes from the oven and let cool enough to handle.
- Once the potatoes are cool, prepare the broccoli by placing high-sided pan with a lid over high heat with about an inch of water (if your pan doesn’t have a lid, just cover it with foil). Cook the broccoli in the pan until tender, 3-5 minutes. Remove the broccoli from the pan with a slotted spoon to a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop the insides out into the bowl with the broccoli, leaving a thin layer of flesh still intact. Be sure not to pierce the skin of the potato.
- Add the chicken stock and a large handful of shredded cheese (about 1/2 cup) to the broccoli-potato mixture and mash everything together (use more stock if you like your potatoes wet and less to keep them drier). Season the filling with salt and freshly ground black pepper and scoop the filling back into the hollowed out potato shells, dividing it evenly between all eight potato shells.
- Place the potato skins back onto a baking sheet and sprinkle the remaining cheese over each one. Place the potatoes back into the oven to melt the cheese, 1-2 minutes, and serve them up with your favorite salad alongside.