- 4 large Russet potatoes, scrubbed
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Fontina Val d’Aosta cheese or Gruyère cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a handful)
- 1 head broccoli cut into 4-inch long thin spears or 2 bundles broccolini, trimmed
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Rub the potatoes with a little oil; season with salt and pepper and prick the skins with a fork. Roast for 1 hour; cool to handle. Halve the potatoes lengthwise down the center.
- Heat a large skillet with a lid over medium heat. Add the butter and melt; when it foams, add the onions and season with salt. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 20 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop the flesh of the potatoes into a bowl, leaving the skins intact. Mash with salt, pepper, crème fraiche or cream and the Fontina or Gruyère. Arrange the potato skins on a baking sheet and top with
the Parmigiano Reggiano..
- Coat the broccoli with a little olive oil; season with salt and pepper and roast to crispy at edges and tender, 20-25 minutes. Roast the potatoes on another rack at same time until brown and bubbly.
- Serve the potatoes topped with the roasted broccoli spears.