- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can red kidney beans (15 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (1 pound)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven.
- In a large saucepan, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onion, chili powder and cumin, and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and tomatoes with their juices and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Transfer to an 8-inch x 11-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and cheese. Scatter the potato mixture over the chili. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake until the potatoes are cooked through and the chili is bubbling, about 35 minutes.