- 1 pound whole wheat pasta (spaghetti or penne)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups crimini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 2 cloves sliced garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 lemons
- Grated Grana Padano cheese (grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese may be substituted)
- Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 grilled chicken breasts (you can use leftovers!), sliced
- Boil pasta as directed on the package.
- While pasta is cooking, put large skillet on stove over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle EVOO into pan and add all of the veggies except the garlic and peas.
- Sauté veggies for about five minutes, until onion is translucent.
- Add peas, garlic, salt, pepper, red chili flakes and juice of two lemons.
- Drain pasta when done cooking and reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta water. Add pasta and reserved pasta water to sauté pan with veggies and heat for one minute.
- Transfer pasta and veggie mixture to a bowl and top with cheese, lemon zest, parsley and chicken strips.
Recipe courtesy of Yum-o! The Family Cookbook.