- 1 3/4 pounds yellow potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a medium saucepan, combine the potatoes, garlic and enough salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and shred; season with salt.
- In the same skillet as you cooked the chicken in, add the onion and thyme and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Lower the heat to medium, then add the peas and carrots and the broccoli and cook for 2 minutes. In a bowl, stir the cornstarch into the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth, then stir into the vegetable mixture. Bring it to a boil and cook until thickened. Stir in the chicken and mustard and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- In a bowl, mash the potatoes with the remaining 3 tablespoons EVOO and the reserved cooking water. Divide the potatoes among four shallow bowls. Make a well in the centers and top with the chicken and vegetables.
Recipe by Tracey Seaman, Test Kitchen Director, Every Day with Rachael Ray. Reprinted with permission from Every Day with Rachael Ray.