For the salsa:
- 1 pound ripe plum tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 small clove garlic
- Salt and pepper
For the quesadillas:
- 1 breast from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 block sharp yellow cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 4 soft whole wheat tortillas (7 inches)
- 5 tablespoons softened cream cheese or mayonnaise
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1 cup plain reduced fat Greek-style yogurt, for serving
- Fit the food processor with the chopping blade and put the lid in place (ask a grown-up helper for assistance with the food processor). Quarter and core the tomatoes; using your fingers, remove the seeds. Halve the lime; trim, quarter and peel the onion, then trim the garlic clove and smash it.
- Juice the lime with a citrus juicer, working over a small bowl. In the food processor with the machine on, add the garlic through the feed tube (it will stick to the side of the bowl). Add the onion through the tube, processing until chopped. Trun off the machine and remove the lid. Add the tomato pieces and the lime juice; attach the lid and pulse with 1-second pulses until chopped but not soupy. Give your salsa a taste test, just like a real chef! Taste a spoonful, then add just a litte seasoning: 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pulse for 1 second to blend. Taste again! Add more salt if you think it needs it. Transfer the salsa to a bowl.
- Discard the chicken skin. Using your fingers, shred the meat. Shred the cheese with a box grater.
- Pre-heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, place a tortilla on a work surface and spread with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese. Sprinkle 1/3 cup shredded cheese on top. Arrange 1/3 cup chicken on half of the tortilla and fold in half. Repeat the process with th remaining tortillas. Drizzle a little EVOO in the hot skillet, add 1-2 quesadillas to the pan and cook, turning once or twice, until golden-brown and crisp on both sides, about 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Cut the quesadillas in half, stack on plates and serve warm with the salsa and yogurt.