- 4 tilapia fillets (8 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, regular or whole wheat
- 1 cup unsweetened grated coconut
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup pineapple preserves
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 scallions, whites and greens, very thinly sliced
Pre-heat the oven to 275°F.
Place a cooling rack over a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven.
Arrange three shallow dishes on the countertop near the stove. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Place the flour in the first dish, the eggs in the second and the panko with the coconut in the third dish.
Heat a thin layer of vegetable oil, a couple of tablespoons, in a large skillet over medium high heat. Coat two pieces of fish in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs and fry until brown and crispy, 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer the fish to the oven to keep warm, and repeat with the remaining two pieces of fish and the remaining vegetable oil.
While the fish cooks, in a small pot, combine the preserves, rice wine vinegar or Tamari and chicken stock. Heat through over medium heat, then stir in the scallions.
Drizzle the pineapple sauce over the fish and serve.