- 1 large baking potato, peeled and shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/2/ cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, cover the shredded potato with cold water and stir to rinse; drain and transfer to a towel-covered work surface. Cover with another towel and roll up the towel to remove excess moisture; rinse and dry the bowl. Squeeze the carrots and zucchini in another towl to remove excess moisture. In the bowl, combine the potato, carrots, zucchini, onion, egg and egg white, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat a large skillet for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon EVOO and swirl to coat the pan. Working in batches, and using the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO when necessary, spoon 1/4 cupfuls of the veggie mixture into the pan and flatten them into 3-inch pancakes. Fry the pancakes until golden underneath, about 3 minutes. Flip, sprinkle a bit of cheese on top of each one and cook for about 2 minutes more; transfer to a plate.
Recipe by Tracey Seaman, Test Kitchen Director, Every Day with Rachael Ray. Reprinted with permission from Every Day with Rachael Ray.