- 1/4 cup flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup nuts, such as almonds, walnuts or pecans, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons herbs, such as parsley, thyme or basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices of your favorite cheese, such as Gruyère, Havarti or provolone
- Set up three plates or shallow bowls and fill one with the flour, one with the eggs and one with the ground nuts and herbs.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Season each slice of tomato with salt and pepper, then sandwich each slice between two slices of cheese. Carefully toss each bundle in the flour, then the egg and then the ground nuts to coat.
- Place each bundle into the skillet and cook until the nuts are golden brown and the cheese has melted, 2-3 minutes per side. Serve immediately.