- 2 medium to large eggplants, sliced lengthwise into 6 steaks each
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/3 plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can diced or crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- A handful of fresh basil, torn
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta, 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano, 1 egg yolk, nutmeg and salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound ground browned turkey or chicken crumbles, 1 egg yolk, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, salt and pepper and a sprinkle of poultry seasoning
- 8 thin slices of smoked mozzarella
- Pre-heat a grill pan to medium-high heat. Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Pour 1/3 cup EVOO in a small dish. Brush the eggplant lightly on both sides and season eggplant steaks with salt and pepper. Grill steaks for 4 minutes on each side and remove. You will need to prepare the steaks in batches. Once removed from the grill or grill pan, do NOT pile the eggplant up. Stacking hot eggplant will cause overcooking.
Once egg plant steaks are grill marked, make the lasagna stacks. For cheese stacks, build four using: eggplant steak, 1/4 cup cheese filling, sauce, eggplant steak, 1/4 cup cheese filling, steak, sauce and two slices mozzarella on top, if using.
For meat-filled stacks build four using: eggplant steak, an eighth of the meat filling (about 1/4 cup), sauce, eggplant stead, an eighth of the meat filling, eggplant steak, sauce and two slices mozzarella on top, if using.
Each individually portioned stack will include three steaks and about 1/2 cup of filling.
- Roast the stacks on a baking sheet for 15 minutes or so in the oven.