- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup tomato or marinara sauce
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup alphabet pasta
- 1 chunk of rind from Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots or 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and half of the chopped onion to the pan and cook for 6-7 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In a medium size soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of EVOO over medium heat. Add the garlic and the remaining onion and cook, stirring now and then, for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, then slowly pour in the chicken stock. Bring the soup to a boil, then stir in the pasta and cheese rind. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the pasta letters are just tender, 6-7 minutes.
- 2-3 minutes before the pasta is done, add the vegetables of your choice, a little salt and pepper and the ground meat. Cool a few spoonfuls of soup and check the taste to see if it needs extra pepper or a little salt. Discard the cheese rind and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Yum-o! The Family Cookbook.