- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 loaf French bread, cut in thick slices
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup cantaloupe, diced
- 1/2 cup red grapes, cut in half
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Pre-heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet. Pre-heat the oven to 200°F.
- In a shallow dish, beat together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Spray the skillet or griddle with cooking spray. Working in batches, dip the slices of bread in the egg mixture, let the excess drip off, then place the bread slices in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Place on a baking sheet in the low oven to keep warm while you cook the rest of the French toast slices.
- In a separate skillet, cook the butter and the brown sugar together until the butter is melted. Add the walnuts and toss to coat with the mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved and the walnuts are fragrant. Stir the mixture into the ricotta cheese.
- Spread a thin layer of ricotta on half of the French toast slices and top with another piece to make a sandwich. Top with fruit and a sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar.
Recipe courtesy of Yum-o! The Family Cookbook.