- 2-3 medium zucchini (1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound farfalle
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- Split the zucchini lengthwise and gently scoop out the seeds. Grate using the large side of a box grater.
- Heat the olive oil, two turns of the pan, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown and crumble. Add the garlic and stir; add the zucchini and toss to combine.
- Drop the pasta in boiling salted water and cook to al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the starchy cooking water just before draining. Drain the pasta.
- Add the parsley and starchy cooking water to the zucchini and sausage, toss to combine and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve in shallow bowls topped with tangy Romano or nutty Parm.