- 1 pound macaroni
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, pork and veal, combined
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup shredded carrots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery from the heart, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly snipped chives
- 4 radishes, finely chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped cornichons or baby gherkin pickles, for garnish
- Bring the water to a boil for the macaroni. Salt the water, then cook the pasta to al dente.
- While the water comes to a boil and the pasta cooks, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, in a large, deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the meat and season with paprika, salt and pepper. Brown and crumble the meat for 5 minutes, then add the bay leaf, carrots, onion, celery and pepper and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add the tomato sauce and stock and heat through, about 2 minutes. Adjust the seasonings and stir in the sour cream, dill and parsley.
- Drain the macaroni and toss with the meat sauce. Garnish the goulash with chives, chopped radishes and pickles.
Photo credit: Tina Rupp