- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (add more for spice and tang)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup flavorful Swiss cheese (such as Gruyère or Emmenthaler), shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bag honey whole wheat pretzels (10-16 ounces)
- 1-2 pounds assorted fresh vegetables, chopped, such as broccoli, carrots or red bell peppers
- Rub the inside of a fondue pot with the crushed clove of garlic and discard the clove. Ask a grown-up helper (GH) to assist you with setting up the fondue pot.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot, whisk in the mustard and then bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- While the chicken stock is coming to a boil, combine the cornstarch and apple juice in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve the cornstarch and prevent lumping. Once the chicken stock has come to a boil, add the white wine and cornstarch mixture while whisking. Bring that mixture back to a boil and cook for one minute, whisking constantly.
- Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the shredded cheese, stirring to dissolve.
- Season the fondue with salt and pepper and serve immediately with honey whole wheat pretzels and an assortment of chopped fresh vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots or red bell peppers.