- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound ground chicken
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, moistened with 3 tablespoons milk
- 5 eggs, divided
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a couple of fat handfuls)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Bring the stock to a simmer.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and nutmeg and combine with the onion, garlic, breadcrumbs and 1 egg. Roll walnut-size balls and drop them into the broth. Simmer the meatballs in the broth for 7-8 minutes.
- Whisk up the remaining 4 eggs with the cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir into the soup to make the egg "rags" that will run throughout the soup. Take the soup off the heat, then add the scallions and lemon juice.
- Serve the soup in shallow bowls.