- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 small yellow onion, finely chopped or grated with hand grater
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup store-bought Italian bread crumbs
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices Italian bread, such as semolina bread
- 8 deli slices provolone cheese
- 2 cups pizza or marinara sauce
- Mix meat, egg, onion, garlic, cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and parsley. Form four large patties.
- Wash your hands after handling the raw meat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and pour in EVOO. Cook patties five minutes on each side. Remove from pan and wipe out pan with paper towel.
- Return skillet to heat and melt butter over medium-low heat. Add four slices bread and place a slice of cheese on each slice of bread. Top with patties and another slice of cheese, then put on top slices of bread. Cook melts two minutes on each side to toast bread and melt cheese.
- Heat pizza or marinara sauce in small pot or microwave. Cut sandwiches corner to corner into triangles. Serve each melt with 1/2 cup sauce in a small bowl on the side for dipping the sandwiches.