- 16 slices (about 1/3-inch thick) soft French bread
- 1/3 cup seedless strawberry or blackberry jam
- 8 slices Muenster cheese (8 ounces), cut in half
- 8 slices black forest ham (8 ounces), folded in half
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Orange and apple wedges, for serving
- Arrange the bread slices on a work surface; spread each with about 1 teaspoon jam. Top eight of the bread slices with a folded half slice of cheese, the ham, then another folded half slice of cheese. Top with the remaining bread slices, jam side down.
- Crack the eggs into a pie plate and add the milk. Using a fork, beat the mixture to combine. Add four sandwiches; let soak, turning once, until bread is saturated but not soggy, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 sandwiches; cook until the bottoms are golden, 2-3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon butter, flip the sandwiches and cook until golden, 2-3 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining butter and sandwiches.
- Divide the sandwiches among plates and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serve with the orange and apple wedges.
Recipe by Tracey Seaman, Test Kitchen Director, Every Day with Rachael Ray. Reprinted with permission from Every Day with Rachael Ray.