- 1 package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (16 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
For the horseradish sauce:
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 425ºF. Put the mini muffin pan into the hot oven for a few minutes until hot. While the mini muffin pan is pre-heating, prepare the potatoes.
- In a medium size bowl, toss the shredded potatoes with the flour, making sure to coat all the shreds in a little bit of flour. Add in the egg and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pull the hot pan out of the oven and spray muffin cups with cooking spray. Use a small scoop to evenly scoop the potato mixture into all of the mini muffin cups. Spray the tops of the tots with cooking spray to ensure even browning.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. Remove from oven, and flip with a fork. Bake for an additional 9-10 minutes, or until brown on top.
- Serve with ketchup, applesauce or horseradish sauce.
- For the horseradish sauce: In a bowl, combine the sour cream, horseradish, applesauce, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Garnish the sauce with the chives.