- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4-1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and ground black pepper
For the Lemon Saffron Aioli:
- 2 organic egg yolks
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grapeseed oil or other mild-flavored oil
- A pinch of saffron
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, mix up the basil, parsley, cheese, pine nuts and garlic with EVOO until pesto-like and set aside.
- Place the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, pesto, salt and pepper in mixing bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Using a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon or mini ice cream scoop to portion the meat, roll it into balls and place onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, whisk up the egg yolks, salt and Dijon mustard and slowly stream in the grapeseed oil while you continue to whisk. Once the aioli emulsifies, you can start to go a bit faster; the aioli will come together in 4-5 minutes. Season with saffron and the lemon juice and zest.
- Serve the meatballs with the aioli alongside, for dipping.