- 2 1/2-3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/4-1/2 cup all-fruit orange preserves/marmalade
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Puree of roast butternut squash and/or carrot (optional)
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water by at least an inch. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil; salt the water.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and pierce easily with a fork.
- Strain, then add the potatoes back to the pot.
- Place the pot over low heat for about a minute to let any excess steam evaporate.
- Start to mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a wooden spoon, then and add the chicken stock, preserves, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- If using optional puree, add in while mashing all the ingredients together.