- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices white or whole wheat bread
- 3/4 cup natural-style peanut butter, creamy or chunky
- 3/4 cup jelly, flavor of your choice
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Spread the peanut butter on four slices of bread and the jelly on the other four slices of bread to make four sammies.
- Scramble the eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl to make French toast batter.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, then add half of the butter. Be sure to ask a grown-up helper (GH) to assist with the skillet if you need help.
- When the butter is almost melted, dunk two of the sammies into the batter and let the excess drip off. Place in the pan and cook until golden brown on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining two sammies if they do not all fit in the pan the first time.
- Cut into sticks and serve with warm maple syrup.
Photo credit: Tina Rupp