- 8 pieces bone-in, skinless chicken
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 serrano chili pepper, chopped
- 2 red Fresno chili peppers, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or marjoram leaves, from 1 stem, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 rounded tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (2/3 palmful)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- A handful each of mint leaves and cilantro leaves
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. In a food processor, process the chili peppers, garlic, oregano or marjoram, bay, lime zest and juice, paprika and about 1/4 cup EVOO into a paste. Slather all over the chicken pieces, coating them evenly. Chill several hours or overnight.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds and swirl for a few seconds to toast, then add the chicken pieces and lightly brown, 10 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over the chicken and add the stock. Partially cover and cook for 10 minutes more. Toss the chicken with mint and cilantro. Serve with mashed blue potatoes alongside.
- Remove the leftovers from bone and make sandwiches with hot sauce mixed with mayo the next day.