- 1 potato, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 pound whole wheat fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- A few grates fresh nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 whole leaves sage
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Place a large pot of water over high heat for the potatoes and pasta. When the water comes up to a boil, add some salt and drop in the potatoes and pasta. Cook the pasta to al dente, according to the package directions (the potatoes should be done at the same time). Drain both well and reserve them in the pot you cooked them in.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the cabbage, onion, garlic, stock and nutmeg to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the veggies are tender, about 5 minutes.
- While the veggies are simmering, place a small skillet over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Add the sage to the pan and gently fry it until it turns deep green in color. Remove the sage leaves and reserve. Remove the butter from the heat.
- Add the cabbage mixture to the pot with the pasta and potatoes and toss to combine. Pour the melted sage butter and cheese over the pasta and toss to coat. Crumble the fried sage leaves over the top to garnish and serve.