- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons roasted red pepper paste or 1 jar of roasted red peppers (12 ounces), drained and pureed or finely chopped
- 4 slices smoked mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle the mushroom caps with EVOO and place them on the grill pan, gill side down, for about 3 minutes.
- Flip the mushroom caps and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread a spoonful or so of roasted red pepper paste over the mushroom caps in a thin layer.
- Top each mushroom with two slices of smoked mozzarella cheese and tent with foil to melt.