- 2 bunches baby carrots with leafy tops
- Olive oil, for drizzling, plus about 1/4 cup
- Salt and lots of black pepper, especially for the peas
- 1 1/2 pounds snap peas (enough to fill a large baking sheet)
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, packed
- 1/4 cup mint, packed
- 1/4 cup tarragon, packed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- About 1/2 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 pound whole grain penne or fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
- Trim the carrots and slice on the bias or dice in bite-size pieces. Dress with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Clean the carrot tops; trim stems the and any brown edges. Reserve 1/2 cup.
- Arrange the snap peas on a large baking sheet and coat lightly with olive oil. Season liberally with salt and lots of fine black pepper.
- Roast the carrots and peas for 15-20 minutes, until tender and crispy at the edges, but not browned all over.
- Combine the carrot tops, herbs, half the roasted peas, the stock and nuts in a food processor. Pulse the machine to finely chop. Add 1/4 cup olive oil and pulse to combine. Transfer to a large, warm, serving bowl and stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water to just-shy of al dente. Add half a mug, about a cup, of the starchy cooking water to the serving bowl and stir to combine it with the pesto. Drain the pasta and add to the bowl along with the carrots and peas. Toss to coat, taste to adjust seasoning and serve.