- 4 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced into 4 thick slices
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ball fresh smoked mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 16 leaves basil
- Pre-heat the oven to 250ºF.
- Arrange the tomato slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle them with EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the tomatoes in the oven for an hour at 250ºF, then raise the temperature to 300ºF for 30 minutes. Allow the tomatoes to cool for a couple of minutes when they come out of the oven.
- Layer a slice of tomato, a basil leaf, then a slice of mozzarella on a serving platter, overlapping them like roof shingles. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.