Rach’s Nearly Famous BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup (look for organic and low sugar ketchups next time your pantry runs out)
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 palmful coarse black pepper
For the chicken:
- 4 small bone-in chicken breasts
- 4 bone-in chicken legs or thighs
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 4 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- Place all of the ingredients for the sauce in a small pot and bring to a bubble. Reduce the heat to low and let thicken for 30 minutes. When the sauce is done, prepare the chicken.
- Remove the skin from the chicken pieces and discard. Arrange the chicken on a broiler pan or on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet. Place the rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat the broiler.
- Dress the chicken pieces lightly with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Broil for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally, until the juices run clear. Baste the chicken very liberally with sauce and broil for another minute or two to set the sauce.
- Garnish the chicken with the chopped scallions and serve.