Sloppy Chili Sliders
Serves 24 sloppy chili sliders
Ancho chilies and herbs heat up beef or turkey chili sliders.
- 3 ancho chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups beef stock for beef chili or chicken stock for turkey chili
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground sirloin or turkey
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin (a scant palmful)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (a scant palmful)
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 24 slider rolls or small dinner rolls, split
- Toppings: shredded cheese, chopped raw onions, chopped pickles
- Heat the anchos in the stock in a pot over a low simmer to reconstitute them. Puree into a sauce in a food processor and reserve.
- Heat the EVOO, a turn of the pan, in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the meat and crumble it into fine bits as it browns. Add the onion and garlic and cook to soften a few minutes more. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and paprika.
- Stir together the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce for the sloppy sauce. Pour the sloppy sauce and ancho sauce into a pot and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer to thicken and combine the flavors, 5 minutes. Serve with the soft slider rolls and toppings.