- 3 pounds plum or Roma tomatoes (about 24), halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 12 leaves basil, torn
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Halve both the squash and place the pieces cut side down on baking sheets. Roast for 1 hour, or until tender.
- While the squash are roasting, place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and scatter garlic over the tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat; season with salt, pepper and thyme. Halfway through the squash cooking time, place the tomatoes in the oven and roast until brown at the edges and slumped, 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven, turn cut side up and shred the squash into spaghetti-like strands with a fork; season with salt and pepper.
- Slide the tomatoes and all the liquids into a bowl. Add the basil and mash with the garlic. Divide among the squash and top with cheese. Serve half a squash per person.