- 3 red bell peppers
- 3 Fresno chili peppers or other medium-heat red chili peppers, seeded
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or sliced almonds, toasted
- A small handful of basil leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano leaves, 1 tablespoon or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese, plus some to pass at table
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Additional torn basil, chopped mint and parsley for garnish (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- Roast the peppers over a flame on the stovetop or under the broiler to blacken the skins all over. Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap until cool. Peel the skins and seed the peppers.
- Place the roasted red peppers and chili peppers in a food processor and add the nuts, basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the cheese, turn the processor on and stream in the EVOO to form a thick sauce.
- Salt the pasta water and cook the spaghetti to al dente. Reserve about 1 cup of the starchy cooking water; drain the pasta and return to the pot. Toss the pasta with the pesto and half of the starchy cooking water. Toss the pasta with the sauce for a minute or two to combine thoroughly, adding a little more starchy cooking water if necessary. Serve with more cheese and some torn basil leaves or finely chopped mint and parsley, if desired.