- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste (optional)
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- A generous handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to your taste
- 2 cans tuna in water (about 6 ounces), drained
- 1 can Italian plum tomatoes (28 ounces)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook to al dente.
- While the water is coming to a boil, place a medium skillet over medium heat with 3 tablespoons of EVOO. Add the chopped garlic and anchovy paste, cook for a minute, then stir in the breadcrumbs and toast until deep golden brown. Stir in parsley and remove from heat.
- Pre-heat a large skillet over medium heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO and add the onion and red pepper flakes. Cook until the onion is tender, 5 minutes. Add the tuna and flake, combining it with the onion. Add the tomatoes to the tuna and crush them with a potato masher. Let the tuna tomato mixture cook for about 5-6 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the pasta with tuna sauce. Sprinkle with the seasoned breadcrumb mixture for extra texture and great flavor.