- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 cups chicken stock, homemade or store-bought
- A pinch of saffron threads (optional)
- 1 bunch spring onions or 2-3 leeks, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon zest
- 1 bundle thin asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 cup fresh shelled peas
- 1/2 poached or rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed, chicken diced or shredded (use remaining chicken another night for dinner!)
- Thin egg noodles or fideo (a couple of handfuls)
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Heat another soup pot with the stock and saffron threads to steep.
- To the first soup pot add the onions, carrots and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook to tender, then add the lemon zest and stir. Add the steeped saffron stock and bring to a simmer. Add the asparagus, peas, chicken and noodles*; cook for about 5 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and herbs and serve.
- *If making soup in advance, omit the noodles and cook separately the night you want reheat the soup!