- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 shallots, halved, then thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- A generous handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan or about 1/4 cup, over medium-low heat in a high-sided skillet. Add garlic and shallots to warm EVOO. Season with salt and pepper, then gently cook to caramelize them, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water to boil for pasta, salt the water very liberally, then add spaghetti to rolling boil. Cook to al dente.
- Add three ladles of starchy pasta water, about 1 1/4 cups, to the shallots and stir.
- Drain pasta and add to shallots. Add the parsley and cheese and more black pepper, to taste. Toss 1-2 minutes for liquid to absorb and serve. WOW! Talk about yum-o!