- 5 plum tomatoes, cored, halved, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 grated or minced and 1 cracked from its skin
- A pinch of sugar or a drizzle of honey
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- A pinch of dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (about a handful), chopped
- 1/2 crusty multigrain baguette, sliced into 8 pieces
Place the tomatoes in a medium size mixing bowl. Add the red onion, garlic, sugar or honey, 2 tablespoons EVOO, cider vinegar and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss everything together to coat and let sit for at least 15- 20 minutes – the longer it sits, the more the flavors will blend together.
Pre-heat the broiler to high. Place the bread slices on a broiler pan and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO. Toast the bread slices under the hot broiler – keep an eye on it! When they are toasted, rub each slice with the cracked garlic clove.
Place the tomato mixture in a serving bowl and top with the fresh basil. Arrange the toasts around the bowl.