10-Shallot Spaghetti with Kale
Slowly sauté shallots and garlic to boost their taste. Toss with pasta and kale for a luscious dish. Garnish with cheese and toasted hazelnuts.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 10 large shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 pound farro or whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 bundle cavolo nero (also known as flat or black kale), stemmed and thinly sliced
- Grated Pecorino cheese
- Chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the olive oil, two turns of the pan. Melt the butter in the olive oil and add the shallots and garlic; season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook until light caramel in color, 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Salt the boiling water. Cook the pasta to al dente, adding the kale for the last 4 minutes of cook time. Add 1 cup of the starchy cooking water to the shallots and garlic. Drain the pasta and kale and toss with the shallots. Adjust the salt and pepper, toss in a couple handfuls of cheese and serve the pasta garnished with nuts and parsley.