15 Minute Meal: Broccoli Rabe and Sausage Bread Pizzas
Sensational seasonings of nutmeg, fresh thyme and garlic compliment this quick bread pizza layered with rabe, ricotta, provolone and sausage.
- 1 large bundle broccoli rabe, trimmed, washed and dried, coarsely chopped
- 1 large loaf ciabatta bread or 2 small loaves, split horizontally (portion in your head for 4 servings of bread pizzas to pick the right size)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 pound bulk Italian sweet sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat the broiler and position the rack one rung from the top of oven.
- Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a covered deep skillet. Remove the cover and season the water with salt. Boil the rabe for 3-4 minutes to cook out its bitterness; drain well.
- Place the bread on a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet so that the heat can circulate and the bottom of the bread can remain crisp. Lightly toast the bread under the broiler, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown and crumble it, then remove to a plate and return the pan to the stove. Reduce the heat to medium and add the 2 tablespoons EVOO, a couple turns of the pan. Add the garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and stir, then add the broccoli rabe and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and a little nutmeg. Turn off the heat.
- While the sausage browns, combine the ricotta with the milk, salt, pepper, thyme and a drizzle of EVOO. Slather or dollop the ricotta cheese onto the bread. Top the bread with even layers of sausage and broccoli rabe and provolone cheese. Return the bread pizzas to the oven for 3 minutes, or until brown and bubbly on top.