5 Ingredient Thanksgiving: Apple Sausage Stuffing
Chicken apple sausage adds moisture to this five-ingredient stuffing.
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 loaf Pullman bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound bulk chicken apple sausage, removed from casing
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cups turkey stock or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the bread cubes evenly on a baking sheet. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and pour it over the cubes. Bake until lightly golden in color and slightly dried out, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes, crumbling the meat with the back of a spoon. Add the onion and cook until tender and the meat is browned, 7-10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and let cool.
- Add the toasted bread cubes, stock and eggs to the bowl and mix well (use your hands if you like – it’s fun!). The mixture should be moist but not soggy; add a little more stock if you like your stuffing wetter.
- Season the stuffing with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Place in a 9-inch x13-inch buttered baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. (To keep the stuffing moist; cover the top loosely with foil while it bakes.)