Baked Rigatoni and Braised Beef
Check out this ultimate comfort food submitted by Yum-o! friend, Maggie. It’s her mother’s recipe!
- 2-3 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large sliced onion
- 1 pound diced carrot
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large can diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 2/3 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon each dried thyme, marjoram, and basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 20 kalamata olives (optional)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound whole milk mozzarella diced in 1-inch cubes
- Sear both sides of chuck roast in ovenproof casserole or short stock pot in shimmering olive oil pre-heated to 325°F (about 3-4 minutes on each side).
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, wine, beef stock and seasonings.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 1/2 hours. Add carrots and bake another 1 1/2 hours. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate overnight.
- Skim and remove congealed fat from pot. Dice meat and stir it back into liquid and refrigerate another day. (If in a hurry, go to next step rather than refrigerating for another day.)
- The next day, remove the bay leaf and reheat meat mixture. Stir in olives, parmesan and parsley.
- Cook rigatoni and rinse thoroughly. In large bowl, toss beef and sauce with pasta and mozzarella.
- In a large casserole, bake at 325°F for 45-60 minutes or until steaming.