Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Butternut Squash and Chicken Thighs
This easy, versatile meal can be made on one baking sheet! You can also choose different veggies to roast for variety.
- 2 pints large Brussels sprouts (about 20 to 24), trimmed and halved
- 1 pound butternut squash, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 shallots, quartered with root ends attached
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar – the thicker the better
- 5-6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin on or off, as you prefer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground paprika or smoked paprika
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- Combine the Brussels sprouts, squash, shallots, lemon and garlic on a baking sheet and dress with the balsamic, and about 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Arrange the sprouts with their cut sides down.
- Toss the chicken thighs with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper, fennel seed, chili flakes, granulated onion and garlic, sage and paprika or smoked paprika and coat evenly. Arrange the chicken on top of the Brussels sprouts and bake for about 30 minutes.