Barbecue Turkey Sloppy Joe Sliders
Rach made these Sloppy Joe Sliders at the 2009 South Beach Wine & Food Festival’s Kidz Kitchen!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/3 pounds ground all-white-meat turkey
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce (14 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 12 slider buns, split
- 3-4 dill pickles, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 celery stalk, cut into sticks
- Heat the EVOO, one turn around the pan, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and use the back of a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the turkey into crumbles so that it can brown evenly. Stir in the grill seasoning.
- Once the turkey begins to brown, 3-4 minutes, add the onions and bell peppers and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- In a bowl, combine the vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and hot sauce. Stir the barbecue sauce into the turkey mixture. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the mixture bubble for another 5 minutes.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile the sloppy turkey onto the slider bun bottoms, then top with chopped pickles and the bun tops. Serve with veggie sticks.