BBQ Skillet Pie with Corn Muffin Topper
Corn muffin tops turkey with veggies and barbecue sauce for a fast family meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked turkey, chopped or pulled poached chicken or rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
For the barbecue sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika, 1/3 palmful
- Coarse black pepper
For the topping:
- 2 boxes corn muffin mix, such as Jiffy brand prepared according to package directions
- 1/4 cup chives or scallions, chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or pepper Jack cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet that can transfer to the oven or a Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, a couple of turns of the pan. Add the root vegetables and sauté to tender, 7-8 minutes. Add the cooked poultry meat and cover with stock; gently heat through and reduce the heat to simmer to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place the barbecue sauce ingredients in a small pot. Bring to a bubble, then reduce the heat and cook the sauce over low flame for 30 minutes to thicken.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Stir the barbecue sauce into the meat and vegetables and combine. Top with the prepared corn muffin mix with chives or scallions added; you can also add 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or pepper Jack cheese into the corn muffin topper, if desired. Spread the mix in an even layer, then place in the oven and bake until golden brown and the topping is firm enough to cut through.