Braised Brussels Sprouts
These sprouts are a fantastic Thanksgiving or holiday side dish and will make a Brussels sprouts fan out of anyone! You can also substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth and combine them with Creamy Polenta with Butternut Squash and Marsala Mushroom Ragout for a delicious vegetarian meal!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 pints Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 tablespoon sage, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups regular or low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small head radicchio, chopped
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat with the EVOO and butter. Add the onions and cook until caramelized, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the sliced Brussels sprouts, allspice, sage and a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper and toss to combine. Add the stock, bring up to a bubble, then reduce the heat and simmer until the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 15 minutes.
- In the last three minutes of cooking, stir in the radicchio.