Bread and Butter Pickles
Serves 20-30 pickle slices
These are a surprisingly simple-to-make crisp side.
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3-4 small fresh bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 ribs celery, chopped with leafy tops
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 English (seedless) cucumber (1 pound), sliced 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- A few sprigs of dill and parsley
- Heat the vinegar, water, bay leaves, seeds, turmeric, salt and sugar over medium-high heat. Bring to a low boil; stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Layer the celery, onion, cucumber, dill and parsley in a glass or plastic airtight container. Cover with hot brine; chill until ready to serve.