Buffalo Stuffed Skins
This recipe combines combines the flavors of two faves: buffalo chicken wings and potato skins!
- 4 large Idaho potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2-2 pounds all-white-meat ground chicken breast
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (you can substitute with chipotle peppers or chipotle chili powder)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4-1/2 cup hot sauce, depending on how hot you like it
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 3/4 pound blue cheese (such as Maytag Blue), crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup regular or low fat sour cream
- 6 scallions sliced on bias, whites and green parts kept separate
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the potatoes onto a baking tray and rub them with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of EVOO. Pop them into the pre-heated oven and bake for about 1 hour, until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the buffalo chicken chili: place a large pot over medium-high heat. Add one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon, and the butter. Once the butter has melted and the pot is hot, add the ground chicken. Brown it, using the back of a wooden spoon to break it up in to small pieces, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the carrot, onion, celery, garlic, paprika or chipotles, bay leaf and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the hot sauce (start with just a little bit and add more according to your taste) and tomato sauce and bring up to a bubble. Simmer for 8-10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While the chili is simmering, take the potatoes out of the oven and slice the top thirds off so that the potatoes resemble little boats. Gently scoop out the potato pulp out of the skins, reserving it in a bowl.
- To the bowl with the potato pulp, add the blue cheese, egg, sour cream, salt, pepper and the whites of the scallions. Gently mix to combine.
- Fill the hollowed-out potato skins with the potato mixture. Place them into the oven for 10 minutes, until nice and hot.
- To serve, place a stuffed potato onto a plate and top it with some buffalo chicken chili. Garnish with the sliced green scallions.