Cherry Tomato Sauce with Balsamic Vinegar
Busy families will enjoy making this super easy, super delicious pasta with fresh tomato sauce.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 small fresh red chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5-6 cloves garlic, very finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/2 cup basil, torn
- About 2 tablespoons aged, syrup-like balsamic vinegar or balsamic drizzle
- A fat handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 pound pepperoncini (red pepper pasta)-flavored penne or spaghetti or regular or whole wheat penne rigate or spaghetti
- Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- Heat the EVOO over medium heat in a large saucepan with a lid. Add the chili peppers and garlic; swirl for a minute or two, then add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add the basil leaves, then cover the pan, raise the heat a bit and cook for 10-12 minutes, shaking pan occasionally until the tomatoes burst. Uncover and stir in the balsamic drizzle and reduce the heat to low.
- Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente. Reserve 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the starchy cooking water just before draining the pasta.
- Add the water and drained pasta to the sauce; add the parsley and toss to combine. Adjust the salt and pepper and top with lots of cheese.