Chicken and Apple Pot Pies
Surprise your family with this super easy and creative recipe for pot pies.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, white or dark meat, diced into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 Empire, Gala or Honey Crisp apples, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 small ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 sheet store-bought puff pastry dough, defrosted (if frozen)
- 1 egg, beaten with water
- Pre-heat the oven to 400˚F.
- Heat the EVOO in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown for 7-8 minutes, then remove to a plate.
- Add the butter and melt. Add the apples, celery, onion, bay, thyme, salt and pepper and cook to soften, 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, stir for 1 minute, then whisk in the cider and stock. Slide the chicken back into the pan and simmer a few minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Place the chicken and sauce in a casserole dish or in individual casserole dishes arranged on baking sheet to catch drips. Cover with the pastry dough, brush with the egg wash and bake until golden.